As a writer of romance, one of the hardest tasks is to create and bring to life memorable romances and OTP (One True Pairings) that readers can connect with.
So many fictional romantic pairings are nice and all but the ones I find myself most drawn to are the couplings that help each other grow, even in spite of flaws and imperfections. Who maybe aren't always meant to be but find a way to keep their love alive, often with humour and humility.
I've rounded together a selection of on-screen couples who have done just that: Made an impact and inspired, and those that have always stuck with me. All deserving of the iconic status they've claimed over the years.
Some are unconventional portrayals of love. Some are scarily relatable. Others are just testament to opposites attract.
But all are memorably unique and so very inspiring.
1. Joel and Clementine - Eternal Sunshine of A Spotless Mind
"We met at the wrong time. That's what I keep telling myself anyway."
2. Kat and Patrick - 10 Things I Hate About You
"Who needs affection when I have blind hatred?"
3. Marla Stringer and the Narrater - Fight Club
"You met me at a very strange time in my life."
4. Xander and Anya - Buffy The Vampire Slayer
"I'm in love with you. Powerfully, painfully in love."
5. Clarence and Alabama - True Romance
"If I'm with you, then I'm with you, and I don't want nobody else."
6. Leslie and Ben - Parks and Recreation
"I like you and I love you."
7. Scott and Ramona - Scott Pilgrim VS The World
"I sort of feel like I'm on drugs when I'm with you."
8. Tom and Violet - The Five-Year Engagement
"I want to be alone, but I want you here."
9. Tim and Mary - About Time
"I love your eyes. And I love the rest of your face, too."
10. Donnie and Gretchen - Donnie Darko
"No, that was a compliment."
I would love to hear your thoughts on the couples above, if you agree or disagree and of course to fin out which are your own favourites romances!